Thursday, February 10, 2011

Dare to Spend

The dare for yesterday was harder than I expected. The challenge presented was to continue to restrain from “negative comments” and to “buy your spouse something that says, "I was thinking of you today"”. While typically buying something for James is not very hard since he has more hobbies than anyone I know, I really wanted to find something that had to do with an active interest.

Ideas rambled around in my head. He loves photography, consumer reports, woodworking, computers, cooking, and even Legos. James even likes kites and origami. Let's just say his tastes are unique and eclectic, but that really makes James the fun guy that he is. However, sometimes having a broad range of choices makes giving thoughtful gifts harder rather than easier. What item would mean something special to him?

Finally, I remembered that he has been considering building us dressers for our room. Right now, James has the dresser that I grew up with since I was a child, I have a girl’s dresser that had been used by a child, and Josiah has the dresser that James had when he was a child. Obviously this dresser project is practical, and desperately needed. The other great thing is James has done nothing but pour over woodworking books looking at various chest of drawer projects. I decided to buy him a book on chests of drawers.

On Amazon, I immediately found the right book, Chests of Drawers: Outstanding Projects from America's Best Craftsmen. The book is published by Taunton Press, and I was almost sure that James has mentioned that publisher before. One click of the button and that book is on its way home, thank goodness for Amazon Prime.

James was at work all day yesterday, so I decided to call him up to let him know of my "thoughtful purchase". When he answered the phone I excitedly proclaimed, "Guess what! I bought you something!" I could tell by the sound of his voice he was surprised. He asked me if I had gotten some deal at a store. He always thinks I have to buy things only on sale (which is generally true . . .). I explained that I knew how much he had been interested in making a dresser, so I bought him a book on Chests of Drawers. Again, he was surprised, and asked me about the book publisher. Icing on the cake! I told him that Taunton published the book, and I could hear the excitement in his voice. Indeed, Taunton was the publisher that he had mentioned. Since he was in a meeting, he had to go, but I was sure that I had brightened his day.

The Love Dare mentions that where we spend our money, we also place our affections. So by investing in my husband, I am stating to him and myself that I care enough to spend money on him. In the past, I often have expected James to spend money on me on Valentine's Day or our anniversary, but I won't get him anything much on those days. I guess in just the same way that I rejoice for him to shower me in gifts, he probably feels appreciated when I spend money on him. Granted, it is not all about money, but when money is so trivial why not spend it on someone special?

No comments:

Post a Comment